Here are some highlights of the interview:
HS: It was announced last Sunday that you will remain with AC Milan until June 30. What was your thinking and what went into those negotiations?
DB: It's obviously something that I've thought about a lot because I'm very committed to the MLS and to the Galaxy but looking to 2010 and the World Cup with England I knew I had to play at the highest level and I knew I had to play in Europe so I wanted to extend my loan deal with Milan. Tim Lewicke (Galaxy's chief executive) and the Galaxy did everything possible to make that happen for me and it's worked out well. I'll finish the season here and then have four weeks holiday and then play for the Galaxy on July 18 in New York. I'm looking forward to that because it gives me time to enjoy the football here and go back to the States and join the Galaxy.
HS: Nonetheless this is a move that's hugely upset some of your fans here in the US. Alexi Lalas predicted you may get booed when you come back to play in the MLS, what do you have to say to your supporters?
DB: I think 95%of the Galaxy fans have been, and will be, incredible to me. I'm sure I'll have criticism and I understand that but I want my fans to realize I'm still committed to the Galaxy. I am still committed to the MLS and being an ambassador, but like I said there will be criticism. It's a shame certain people come out like that, but at the end of the day I'm bigger than that. I can only make my turnaround by the way I perform on the pitch and my commitment to the team and I'll show that when I get back. We'll have to wait and see the first time I play at the Home Depot and see how that goes.
HS: You have two years left on your contract with the Galaxy. What are the prospects that you opt out of those final two years?
DB: At the moment I'm contracted to the Galaxy and I'm committed, but like I said leading up to 2010 everybody knows I need to play football at the highest level. Still, I'm committed to the Galaxy.
HS: But it sounds like there's definitely a chance you may opt out given what transpires regarding the World Cup?
DB: I think leading up to the World Cup I need to play in Europe to give myself a chance of being involved. After then we'll see, but I plan on going back to America. My family's happy there. My wife is happy there, my children are settled in at school.
HS: And personally do you consider your time in LA from every vantage point a success or a failure?
DB: On the pitch it has not been very successful because we haven't made the playoffs in the last two years. That's been disappointing, but on every other level it's been an incredible experience and one that I've really enjoyed so far.
